How to Prevent Getting the Flu
Are you among the lucky ones who can’t remember the last time you had a flu or similar illness? We hope so and, if so, we wish you continued good health.
At the same time, the incidence of Influenza B has shrunk mightily since the onset of the COVID 19 global pandemic. And from that, there’s lessons to be learned for all of us. So, while fewer people have contracted the flu in recent years, it’s still a health risk and one well worth taking seriously by following these and other preventive measures:
- Get a flu shot but check with your primary care physician first
- Continue to wear a mask in public places – what works for COVID 19 also works for Influenza B
- Children as young as 6 months are eligible for a flu shot according to the Center for Disease Control. It’s not 100% effective – neither is it for any age group. But each layer of protection adds up to a more formidable defense against illness.
Additional tips on flu prevention
- Avoid close contact with others who are sick, including members of your family.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing. Even if you’re already infected, you can help protect others.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or, if not available, an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth during flu season.
- Practice good health habits, which include eating right, getting plenty of rest, staying physically active, and drinking plenty of fluids.
Lastly, consider installing a whole-house air purifier. Air purifiers filter out germs, including the flu virus, before they can reach your lungs.
Whole-house HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters are among the most effective in warding off germs. By removing 99.97% of airborne particles, they offer major protection from the flu virus while preventing it from spreading to other members of your family. In fact, HEPA filters are so effective, they are found in hospitals, government buildings, and military bases worldwide.
To learn more about a whole-house air purifier and other air cleaning solutions from Correct Temp, contact us today. Helping families like yours breathe fresher, cleaner air is one of the things we do best.