How to Get More from Your AC System
If you bowl or golf, you know what it means to talk to the pins or ball. You urge them on, hoping they’ll listen and produce a better outcome. Deep down you know it won’t do one bit of good, but still you can’t help yourself.
Well, where is it written that that kind of “friendly persuasion” is limited to sports and other recreational activities. Maybe you talk to your water heater coaxing a few more drops of hot water from it so you can lengthen your shower. Or, more to the point, perhaps you’ve had a thing or to say to your AC system when its performance has been less than brilliant.
If talking to a mechanical object helps you feel better, who are we to stand in your way? But, if you really want to give your AC system a leg up, you’ll find that actions speak louder than words.
- Check your thermostat the next time you feel the temperature rising. Maybe someone accidentally changed the setting, turned it off, or the battery needs to be replaced.
- Clean (or replace) your filter monthly to prevent dirt and dust from restricting airflow.
- Keep weeds and shrubs away from your outside condensing unit so it can effectively transfer heat from inside your home.
- Periodically check for mold to help prevent structural damage and health issues. Mold detection kits are available in most home centers and hardware stores.
- Keep shades and curtains closed on sun-facing windows during the day to keep heat out.
- Take some pressure off your AC system by installing a whole-house attic fan. Once outside temperatures are the same as the air inside, turn off the AC system, open the windows, and turn on the fan.
Here’s another great way to keep your AC system in peak operating condition: annual preventive maintenance. Here at Correct Temp, we perform comprehensive AC cleanings and inspections to help your system run better, last longer, and reduce your monthly energy bills. Contact us today to request service.