How to Cut Home Heating Costs
Want to cut your heating bill in half? It’s easy! Just fold it in half, grab a pair of scissors, and snip away.
Okay, not all that funny, especially since people throughout our Massachusetts and New Hampshire area are concerned about what it costs to heat their homes.
So, let’s get right to the point and look at some effective ways of doing so.
- Run ceiling fans in reverse. Changing the direction of a ceiling fan can shave as much as 10 percent off monthly heating bills. Just flip the switch to run it counter-clockwise so the it can push rising heat back down where you need it. That, in turn, will make you feel more comfortable at lower temperature settings.
- Watch the watch. Energy prices are not the same 24 hours a day. That’s because utility companies charge less during off-peak hours: 10 PM to 7 AM. So if you plan to be home during the day, spike the heat well before 7 AM to warm up the house before turning the thermostat back down. The better sealed our home, the more it will retain the heat.
- Seal the ducts. The US Department of Energy Department has determined that 20% of heated air escapes through ductwork in homes with forced air heating. To prevent that kind of waste, have your ducts periodically inspected and sealed as needed. At the same time, gaps and cracks can be repaired as needed.
- Seal up those drafts. If you feel cold air from under a door or around your windows, you might need new weather-stripping, caulking, or maybe even replacement windows and doors. In the short term, roll up a bath or beach towel and place it along the bottom of your door. For a better look and less laundry, purchase a door sock for each entrance doorway.
- Change furnace filters. Dirty furnace filters can restrict airflow, making the heating system work harder…and yes, that leads to higher heating bills. Filters should be cleaned or replaced every 4-6 weeks or as needed. The more you get in the habit, the more you’ll know the right timing. Also, keep in mind that some filters are more efficient than others. We’ll be happy to give you advice on the matter.
Another surefire way to help reduce home heating costs is with annual preventive maintenance. Here at Correct Temp, we service and maintain all makes of home heating systems, including yours. Has it been a year or longer since maintenance was last performed on your system? If so, contact Correct Temp for outstanding service and our 100% satisfaction guarantee.