Essential Home Maintenance Tips
Who’s in charge of the “Honey do!” list in your home? If you’re on the receiving – “get it done” – end, you’re no doubt responsible for certain chores you might even enjoy, and some you could gladly do without. Either way, how can you be sure which ones to tackles first?
Here at Correct Temp, perhaps we can help you prioritize your home maintenance chores, especially since many are for your own protection. In some cases, “sooner than later” also can help you save a pile of money.
Consider the following examples:
- Cut back tree branches and shrubbery from your home to prevent critters from making themselves at home in your walls and attic. That can happen when they can see you but you can’t see them.
- Fill in cracks and gaps in your foundation, driveway, and walkways. Over time, they will only get worse and costlier to repair.
- Periodically check for loose or missing roof shingles along with loose or cracked bricks on your chimney. The idea is to prevent water from getting inside.
- Seal cracks and gaps around windows and doors to help cut your home heating and cooling costs.
- Clean your range hood and filter at least every two months. Months of grease build up can clog your filter and increase the likelihood of a kitchen fire.
- If you notice lights flickering or see sparks when you flip a switch, it could mean you have faulty electrical wires. Contact a licensed electrician immediately.
- Clean or replace your heating and air conditioning filters every eight weeks or so to help keep your system running at maximum efficiency while maintaining the cleanest possible indoor air.
- Test smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors: Most of these life-saving devices can easily be tested with the push of a button.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils: These coils release the heat produced by the condenser that keeps your fridge cold. When they are dirty, they don’t work as well, causing your fridge to work harder, use more power, and even potentially fail.
- Inspect fire extinguishers: Having an accessible, functional fire extinguisher can keep a small mishap from turning into a huge amount of damage. Make sure that you have extinguishers ready where you need them.
We could, of course, provide you with a much longer list. But for now, the idea is to give you a good head start toward enhancing home and family safety while helping you save money.
To save money on your heating and cooling costs, contact Correct Temp today to request our heating or AC system preventive maintenance service. Depending on the time of year and outdoor temperature, we can do both at the same time. Either way, a regularly maintained HVAC system will help reduce the number and cost repairs, cut your utility costs, and extend equipment life.