How to Prepare Your Home & Property for Spring
As February winds down and you eagerly await spring’s arrival, now’s the time to start thinking about your spring home maintenance checklist. After all, once the ground thaws and the sun producing some extra warmth, you want your house properly prepped so you can enjoy as much time as possible outdoors in post-hibernation.
And while there are several tasks that can’t be performed until the weather permits, there are plenty of pre-spring responsibilities you can tackle now.
- Take an inventory of your spring lawn care tools and equipment. Service gas or electric powered mowers, replace broken rakes, and sharpen cutting blades to make yard work easier.
- Inspect window and door screens for damage and repair or replace as necessary.
- Check wooden window and door frames for cracks, gaps, or signs of wood rot. Repairing them now will help prevent cool air loss and any further damage to the wood.
- Inspect your siding for cracks and peeling paint.
- Check outdoor railings and decks for signs of wood rot or damage.
- Visually inspect your roof and repair or replace any loose or damaged shingles.
- Make sure the gutters are securely fastened to your home and free of any debris so rain water can move freely.
- If your fireplace and chimney haven’t been cleaned or inspected in at least a year, that’s an appointment you’ll want to schedule sooner than later for safety’s sake.
- Take note of tree branches or shrubs that are beginning to encroach on your home and plan to trim them back.
- Start a checklist of – and perhaps a budget for – items that might need to be replaced once the warm weather hits, such as fences, decks, siding, and patio.
Spring is also the ideal time to have your central air conditioning system (or heat pump) professionally cleaned and inspected. Here at Correct Temp, our cleaning and inspection service is designed to help prevent repairs, extend system lifespan, reduce your home energy costs, and further safeguard your home and family. Contact us today or anytime to schedule service. Then, you check off one more item on your spring home maintenance checklist.